Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ecstasies

I love my local film store, actually I don't think love is a strong enough word. No, let's just say that this film store fills me with rapturous delight! When we moved into our new hood, people told us that this film store was one of the best film stores in TO. I hemmed and I sucked at my teeth and I thought disdainfully, sure it is. You see, I had been spoiled living in Montreal, we had the Boite Noir. I thought it would be hard to knock my socks off. Well, not only has this new movie store knocked my socks off and tickled me pink, it's made me want to watch movies 24/7. I've only ever wanted to do one other thing 24/7 and no you dirty little perverts, it's nothing like that. I'm talking about reading.

You see, I have these panic attacks, especially when I am in a library, or a big book store where I realize that no matter what - I will NEVER be able to read everything worth reading. Even if I read 24/7, it will never happen. Then I usually tend to go home and throw myself into my books with abandon, coming up for air and food every once in a while until my eyes hurt and my boyfriend is more than disgruntled. I occassionally have these foolish beliefs that I can defy logic and I try wholeheartedly, but no-one can read 24/7. Maybe for like two days (I think I've done it although my roommate at the time disagreed and said that I fell asleep - I don't remember so I concur that it never happened but that's another digression altogether) but eventually life must go on. School, work, meeting friends, obligations, your limbs start to atrophy - no word of a lie my bottom will start to ache awfully - but the parade must continue.

OK, I won't pull a Tristram Shandy on you, back to my movie store. This weekend, my bf was going to see Public Enemy (yes as in that Public Enemy) so I decided to have a night in and rent some movies. Well low and behold at the back of the store - free movies! FREE! If there is anything I like better than regular movies it's when they are FREEEEEEE!!!! Now, these were not hot new releases. These were movies from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and I think some from the 70s. Some were silent films. One that I particularly enjoyed was called Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die! Things that I love about it are the ridiculous plot line, the fashions, and the fantastic-ly awful music. It's a spy movie about this wealthy man who plans on sterilizing humanity and best of all it has a rocket!

So, here's what I propose, if you enjoy free movies. Come, visit me, and we'll watch them together. Who knows, maybe you too will be moved to ecstasies.

Until then,
Hot Diggity!

PS: Has anyone else noticed how much better dialogue is in older movies?

No comments: